If you're tired of living in a dull, sterile and character-less rental property here's some low commitment decor inspiration to make your rental feel more like home.
These DIY decorating ideas prove you can still add your own personal touches to a rental property without upsetting your landlord or putting your security deposit at risk.
Here are six easy and low cost decorating ideas that have a big impact on your rental décor without causing any lasting damage.
1. If you’re not allowed to paint walls, add interest and fresh pops of colour to your home by painting old furniture in your favourite shade. On trend at the moment are hues of mint green, tangerine, custard, dusty blue and lavender. The brighter and bolder the better.
2. A bar side table or cocktail cart is not only practical for entertaining but a stylish accessory and classy way to display and store your booze. Try accessorising your bar cart with all the cocktail essentials. For an old Hollywood glamorous vibe add martini shakers, a silver serving tray, an ice bucket, fresh limes, crystal glassware and whisky decanters. Cheers!
3. Try adding temporary wallpaper or custom design a photomural to jazz up the plain walls of your rental. Peel-n-stick paper doesn’t damage the paint and when you decide to peel it off simply wiping down the wall is all the clean up you'll need. To add a restful feel to your living area or bedroom try using a forest landscape shot or mountain photo mural.
4. Getting creative with mirrors is an absolute must for decorating a rental. Leaning mirrors against walls can work wonders to add depth to rooms and brighten up spaces. Full-length mirrors work best at the end of corridors to elongate the space and clusters of little mirrors look great on living room and bedroom walls (using wall safe adhesive to reduce damage of course!).
5. Greenery for a fresh touch. Add life and colour to your place in the form of potted plants and fresh flowers. The best thing about decorating with pot plants is you can easily take them with you when you move on and they're easy to care for. We love the look of succulents in the bathroom, potted herbs in the kitchen, cut flowers on coffee tables and terrarium centrepieces.
6. Temporary Washi Tape decals are a fantastic, user friendly and inexpensive DIY tool great for livening up boring and plain wall space. Have a go at creating patterned feature walls and coloured skirting boards. The advantage of Washi Tape is that it stays on well and is easy to remove without a trace when it is time to move out. Washi Tape is available from etsy.com.au and Officeworks in a rainbow of colours and huge variety of funky patterns.
Remember renting doesn't mean you can't decorate your space and add your own personal flair to your home. These simple decor ideas will brighten up, add warmth to and transform your rented space into a more beautiful and stylish place to live.
For more decor inspiration for renters check out our DIY Home Decoration Ideas board on Pinterest.
Do you have any minimal mess and damage free DIY ways of brightening up your place? Please share them in the comments section below.
Happy house decorating!
From the Homely team
We'd like to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this blog leave a comment below and share it with your friends. Please respect the public forum and refrain from posting any expletives or hateful comments as they will be removed. We're always on the look out for guest bloggers and would like to receive your feedback, so feel free to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.