We all daydream of getting away on a luxurious sunny holiday to Thailand, Bali, Hawaii or Tahiti.
While we may not be able to afford that coveted yearly overseas getaway, we can makeover our backyard so we can enjoy a budget-friendly staycation from time to time.
Taking inspiration from tropical destinations, you too can create an island getaway in your own garden. Use island resort theming to create a tranquil haven to relax and unwind in.
Here are five ways to create a piece of paradise in your own garden.
1. Outdoor wicker furniture.
Woven furniture is hugely popular for lounging beside resort pools in tropical destinations. Use wicker pieces in your garden to make full use of your outdoor space. Enjoy outdoor meals in warmer months with a dining setting or soak in the views of your lush green garden on an oversized daybed.
Tips for selecting resort style garden furniture:
- Use bright and colourful fabric to create a resort vibe. Blue or orange fabric is beautiful by a poolside, and green botanical printed fabric can help emphasise a lush tropical garden.
- Use all-weather synthetic rattan, rather than natural materials that become weathered and brittle in direct sun over time.
- Oversized furniture such as large day beds and sun loungers evoke a tropical, Balinese theme.
- Use a variety of furniture types to create different social zones. Think a dining set by the BBQ, a sunken fire pit lounge area and a bar height setting for sipping cocktails to create a sociable resort style atmosphere.
2. A cabana.
A cabana, patio or grass hut gives the look of a tropical island getaway and provides a permanent structure where you can relax in the shade of your garden retreat. In fact, the materials used for a grass hut can be between five to 10 per cent cooler than other shade materials and provide great relief from the hot summer sun.
Grass huts are often made of treated pine that can be stained in a dark stylish colour, with a woven Alang Alang thatch roof, evoking the feeling of a tropical getaway to Fiji, Bali or any island paradise.
A cabana looks stunning paired with tropical landscaping and works especially well when positioned adjacent to a swimming pool. Woven furniture with plush cushions is essential for relaxing under the cabana out of the sun.
Benefits of a cabana:
- Low maintenance.
- Provides 100% UV protection.
- Waterproof when installed correctly.
- A variety of sizes are available.
- Large permanent structures and DIY options are available, to suit any budget.
3. Balinese inspired landscaping.
A Balinese garden is a tranquil haven that will allow you to escape to your own backyard to relax. It features a mixture of colours, shapes and textures of flowers, trees and shrubs. Large statement plants such as palms and frangipanis create a focal point and provide shade for a plethora of colourful flowers and foliage.
You should plan your garden to suit your climate. Palm trees evoke a beach getaway and are a water-wise option for drier climates such as in Perth.
4. A poolside bar.
A swim-up bar is the ultimate lazy holiday by the pool accessory at a luxury resort and will add an amazing wow-factor to your garden. When building your pool you can design a swim-up bar, by creating an entertainment hub that is lowered alongside the pool. Stock it with bottles of whisky, vodka, fresh fruit juice and everything else you need to serve tropical cocktails to your guests.
A bar table and stools are also must-haves for poolside entertaining and creating a fun resort party vibe.
5. Resort style accessories.
Add the finishing touches with resort inspired accessories throughout your garden.
- Large colourful statement plant pots stuffed with exotic bushes and tropical trees.
- Colourful cushions scattered on daybeds, decking and lounges.
- Beautiful trickling water features throughout your Balinese inspired landscaping to provide a tranquil soundtrack.
- Tiki torches, garden lights and hanging lanterns to illuminate your oasis at night.
- The use of stone throughout, in features such as stepping stone pathways, pergola flooring and statues.
Use these five ideas to create the ultimate resort inspired getaway in your own garden, where you can feel like you're on holiday every day of the year.
Whitney Swope is the owner of Urbani Furniture, an outdoor furniture store in Perth, Western Australia. Urbani specialises in all-weather rattan and sells luxurious dining settings, settees, and day beds for the best in outdoor living.
Homely.com.au is a new way to search for Currambine real estate for sale and properties for rent in Perth. With over 340K listings and 500K local reviews and insights, homely.com.au is a faster and easier way to search for property to buy and rent in Australia.
Don't forget to download our iPhone app!
We'd like to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this blog leave a comment below and share it with your friends. Please respect the public forum and refrain from posting any expletives or hateful comments as they will be removed. We're always on the look out for guest bloggers and would like to receive your feedback, so feel free to get in touch at email@example.com.